OFF SEASON: FREE AGENCY SIGNINGS

General discussion about the league.

Re: OFF SEASON: FREE AGENCY SIGNINGS

Postby Eric - Archers GM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Jason - Buzzards GM wrote:I am happy to see that L-Train finally signed our contract. He was getting very little attention, and was demanding much more than we offered.

Comical thing about this is a thing that GM's will never see...

The Thunderbirds came in and dropped the hammer on Lysne that round. It's really one of the tragedies of the current system that we can't go back and expose those little ninja attempts. I sometimes go back and look at the market for those big ticket guys go and I noticed that little nugget.

With an offer that started at 16 mil and topped out nearly 6 mil more than the Buzzards with the same number of years, I'm frankly stunned that Lysne signed with the Buzzards given his greed and other ratings. I wonder if his disposition would have changed had you lead with the hammer Nick but then that would have only driven the Buzzards to offer the big max probably... then again there is sometimes virtue in forcing the hand of a team like that if you've got the will to take on that kind of contract yourself.

Poor Staples would have never known how close he came to being hosed and that should be a reminder to all GMs not to feel too comfortable when it looks like there's no attention... some GMs are just laying in wait for the right moment. That's how i got McGhee last season.

Canny move there Simpson... respect! :lol:
Eric Stelle
Anaheim Archers GM

---------------------------
"A) Do good work.
B) Follow the prescribed guidelines.
C) ???
D) Profit!"

-Ben Johnson
Eric - Archers GM

Postby Jason - Buzzards GM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Heinrich-Enforcers wrote:...but Warnke will do his usual stunt to have a good regular season and a 2nd round exit - not matter how talented his team is.

(says the guy who can't sign shit)

You mean, "says the guy who has built a team that lives up to their commonwealth's' well known nickname: The Garbage State."

Have fun taking the trash out onto the court for yet another season.
Jason J. Warnke
Boston Buzzards GM

Warnke Era: 493-307 (.616) - through 2020
National East Division Champion: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
2016 OBWL Championship Appearance
50+ Win Seasons: 6

Lonny Ups for MVP
...of the D-League
Jason - Buzzards GM

Postby Nate - Swing » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Jason - Buzzards GM wrote:Swing Sign C Lionel Henry for $1,296,048 over one year

I am happy to see someone grabbed one of my all-time favorite OBWL players. It will be extra cool to face him several times a season since Nate brought him in to the Natty East. What are your plans for him?

Well my overall plans for him were just to add depth at the position that has decimated me over the last couple seasons...he's a solid defender and great rebounder...plus he has great vision...the fact he could be had at a minimum contract made me happy...no real big plans for him, but the fact he was that cheap and still seems to have a little gas left in the tank, I couldn't help myself...haha
Nate Songer
Manhattan Swing
Nate - Swing

Postby kvm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Probably because of his demands. I think he was the player who demanded the most money in the entire FA.
Klaus von Meyerinck
Denver's biggest Demon
kvm

Postby kvm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:54 pm

But in general I am surprised to see some players out there. Like Horace Robinson who got no attention as well. Looks like Travis can easyly keep him. If I had money left... ;)
Klaus von Meyerinck
Denver's biggest Demon
kvm

Postby Eric - Archers GM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Snap shots of this round:

Archers - Glad to get my starting PG back and Gorman will be a very serviceable "break glass in case draft picks aren't ready" guy. I got the sense that Marco and Dom were pushing me for Alexander but he wanted one year so I stuck by my guns... glad he stayed.

Blackjacks - I read in the paper that there was a minor jump on the Richter Scale when that hippopotamic land mass that plays at C landed in Vegas. While he's a defensive downgrade, he's a bit of an offensive upgrade and it will be interesting to see how the shot distribution falls with him. Also... great... another jump shooting center in the Conference...

Buzzards - Tom already touched on my thoughts on this. I like that Watts can get more run at C... though more people are shunting speed to the big positions. Still, a good pickup IMO.

Chaos - Carmichael just managed to have a productive season in his 6th season in the league and, while he feels like a good fit for versatility, that can be a bad thing too. Robinson wants 4 years but the Chaos seem determined to get him for 6... interesting that he's still holding out on Travis.

Dragoons - So they burn up their cap space on more than one year deals on ____? An assemblage as many Green/Blue players as possible it seems and many tragically flawed ones. I wonder if a better play would have been to condense all that cap into one quality "B" player who could contribute at SG... or, if nothing, load up one year deals, give it your best shot this season and then hit the market hard next season which is the last season of Denis' low loyalty, high play for winner, moderate greed self hits the market.

Highlanders - Jenkins is a nice defensive oriented substitute for the 5 min per game Keyes is not playing.

Inferno - Well suited for the backup role. Nice pickup.

Knights - I've had a fetish for Gatis since Travis got some production out of him two seasons ago. Now, why he can finish his shots and Olander can't is beyond me but he'll be a nice backup.

Lumberjacks - "Johnny Baskets" can give some nice offensive lift. Solid pickup for the min Mitchell leaves.

Marauders - I like Hao and Dashiel as contributors next to Bordo. I wish I could have held on to Hao but he paid the price for my cap maneuvers. That's a real good price tag for him.

Muscle - Fitzwater is a nice versatile pickup. A bit small for SF but it'd be interesting to see if it would work.

Pioneers - Hasn't Grant keeled over yet? I can't stand that guy and it'd be great if he lost the ability to put his leg down and physically dominate every center I've ever put out.

Sharks - A stable of cheap shot blockers and rebounders. Ah Salerno... I once had such high hopes for you.

Snipers - Serviceable stand in's until Latimer is ready to go and they don't take up a lot of cap for that security so he can have a lot to bring to bear in next season's FA. Not bad there Brandon.

Stallions - Now that's interesting. Kamensky is super physical and a willing shooter next to Jackson who also looks to be a super physical player. Kamensky is actually faster than Jackson which I had forgotten. I wonder how Shep is going to use them given RB2's progression and Long being a fixture in the middle.

Storm - Watts? Ehhhhh. I wouldn't spend the money on paper to give this guy a contract but one does spot a pattern in those signings. Cheap defense. Steals. Blocks... they're trying to shore up their defense on the cheap. I do like the Rogers signing and I think if you put Rogers at C and Craft at PF, that could be an interesting starting 4 with a total crater at PG. Lots to pick up out there though... somebody like Jeremy Evans would fit nicely.

SunKings - Devos was a signing that had to happen for them to stay competitive so good to see that. Booth for that cheap? Very nice!

Swing - AK is on career life support but still looks capable of chugging along. I'm guessing backup to Stanley/McKelvey?

Thunderbirds - Enjoy Becklin. He was enjoyable and infuriating at the same time. That's a lot of offense in the back court.
White, Marble, Becklin and Bruder.... a little bit of a paradigm shift in Arizona maybe?

Tritons - Lazarus and Clyne were nice pickups... Clyne especially even though he's kind of a traffic cone. As Seifert ages that's going to be an area of need. Reloading for the Conference Champs. Nice!
Eric Stelle
Anaheim Archers GM

---------------------------
"A) Do good work.
B) Follow the prescribed guidelines.
C) ???
D) Profit!"

-Ben Johnson
Eric - Archers GM

Postby tritonsgm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

For the Tritons part we could only afford vet minimums so I was looking for capable role players.

Lazarus will back up our PF (either Seifert, Gordon or Heath..depending on what the match-ups are). I have signed him late in the season the last 2 seasons and while he has never gotten much tick for some reason I like him. When FA came around and my incumbent back-up PF was feeling like he was worth double what his minimum salary is the decision to go to Nick The Quick was easy and comfortable.

Clyne will be the back-up C. Last years back-up C was really thinking alot of himself in FA so he wasn't even a thought. I signed Clyne back in the JSB days and he was a solid, productive and unspectacular road-block type C...who could hit the occasional "3". I traded him to Boston a few seasons ago and he just continued to do his thing the same steady way. I like him and he was another comfortable signing.

Bibbs is the one the intrigues me. He can play both SF & SG and is a solid match-up D guy and generates steals. The one thing he can't do is shoot 3's (he is a above average mid-range guy though), which is kind of our thing here in Tampa but if he can be a solid defensive contributor in minutes he gets he will fit in fine. Again, the guy I wanted to bring back was asking more than the minimum so Bibbs was who I went with.

Overall and considering what I had to work with I am very happy with these 3 and I have 1 more roster slot open....let's see what grizzled vet falls thru the cracks.
Tom Lacher
Tampa Bay Tritons GM

2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 AmEast Champs
2012, 2019, 2020 AmCon Champs
2019 Heikinnen Cup Champions
tritonsgm

Postby Jason - Buzzards GM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Fun Fact: Since the start of 2020 Octavio Morrison added an additional 41 points to his attributes based on our scout. This was after posting a +19 improvement after last TC. This included +14 in quickness, strength, jumping and stamina. If he can work on the areas he still has quite a bit of untapped potential remaining, we will be happy with the max contract we just gave him.

Flip SIde: My beloved Lonny Ups is down 21 points across the board from post-training camp 2020 to today, and down 37 since before that TC. This includes being up 10 in Q-S-J-STA, which tells you just how badly his statistical attributes have dropped!
Last edited by Jason - Buzzards GM on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jason J. Warnke
Boston Buzzards GM

Lonny Ups for MVP
...of the D-League
Jason - Buzzards GM

Postby Jason - Buzzards GM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 pm

tritonsgm wrote:Clyne will be the back-up C. Last years back-up C was really thinking alot of himself in FA so he wasn't even a thought. I signed Clyne back in the JSB days and he was a solid, productive and unspectacular road-block type C...who could hit the occasional "3". I traded him to Boston a few seasons ago and he just continued to do his thing the same steady way. I like him and he was another comfortable signing.

He will fill in for you perfectly here as well as serve as an injury-protection policy. Clyne gave us three quality seasons as backup. We loved his ability to extend the floor as well as rebound and play solid defense. The minutes he gave us in 2017 (the year we made a run to the Finals, Marco) was his best. You will be happy!
Jason J. Warnke
Boston Buzzards GM

Lonny Ups for MVP
...of the D-League
Jason - Buzzards GM

Postby HighlanderGM-Darryl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Eric - Archers GM wrote:
Highlanders - Jenkins is a nice defensive oriented substitute for the 5 min per game Keyes is not playing.

Exactly the role he will fill. Not much cap to work with a roster full of "guys" not much to do. Jenkins will be a nice hold the fort type player for us.
HighlanderGM-Darryl

PreviousNext

Return to OBWL Talk